Som Chris Chase skriver:
A tip for all women’s tennis players: Don’t go to Western Europe and expect to make it out healthy.
Serena Williams skadet som kjent foten i fjor sommer, da hun skar seg på en glassbit på restaurant. Clijsters og Williams bruker hele livet på å spise riktig, trene riktig, sove mye, hyre rett trener/fysioterapeut/manager/treningspartner, tilpasse spilleprogrammet og terpe på taktikk, og så blir alt ødelagt av….en uheldig dansemanøver i et bryllup. En glassbit. Liten tue og alt det der.
En annen selvpåført skade, på banen, var da Mikhail Youzhny kakket seg i hodet etter et poeng i 2008:
- Lleyton Hewitt cracked two ribs falling down a flight of stairs.
- James Blake ran into a net post and his face became paralyzed.
- Goran Ivanisivic closed a door on his finger and broke it.
- Tommy Haas had a ball fall out of his pocket in warmups and stepped on it, spraining his ankle and causing him to drop out of Wimbledon in the first round.
- Xavier Malisse had anxiety attacks in the semis of Wimbledon causing him to lose his chance to win Wimbledon.
- Kafelnikov supposedly broke knuckles punching a heavy bag.
- Belgian queen Kim Clijsters had to take two days off after tripping over her dog Diesel… while she was playing football.
- Goran Ivanisevic had to withdraw from a tournament in Miami in 2003 when he stepped on a sharp seashell as he strolled on a Florida beach.
- On another occasion the Croatian needed stitches when he tried to head the ball over the net only to bang heads with his doubles partner Mark Philippoussis, who was himself concussed.